Did Somebody Say Writer's Block?

Most writers experience what they call writer's block. Some writers believe it's just an excuse to not write. Whichever camp you fall into, what do you do as a writer when you get stuck... when the muse isn't there... when life interferes and takes the heart out of writing? Grab a glass of sweet tea and join me. Right or wrong, here are some things I find myself doing:

1) Pray and take time for God - talking to him and listening by reading his word. Often, I'm too spiritually and emotionally drained to bleed on the page. Writer's need a lot of filling up since we do a lot of emptying. God gives the best blood transfusion.

2) Read - it tends to ignite the flames of my creative juices. Sometimes I go on binges where I do almost nothing but read.

3) Do something physical - usually housework since I'm always behind anyway. Folding laundry is awesome for writer's block! While my hands are busy, my brain percolates and tends to unstick whatever is stuck.

4) Take a break. Get some fresh air or go to a bookstore (my favorite kind of shopping). Do something enjoyable.

5) Fellowship with other writers. What a blessing it is to have writers I can chat with! In some ways, they understand me like no one else. They inspire me to be better than I am, to press on when I'm down and want to give up.

6) Research. Plan. Strategize. Sometimes I need to know more about my characters or particulars about things I want to put into my stories. I can't get a single word written until I've nailed down some details.

7) Make myself write. It could be gibberish. It could be about whatever is frustrating me. It could be background info on my character or even an email to a friend. Sometimes, the BIC plan (bum in chair) is the only thing that gets me where I need to go.

What are some things you do when you're stuck? What do you do when you're facing that long dark tunnel ahead, but you have a deadline looming and you have to get those words down? Please share. I'd love to hear what works for you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this reminder that dealing with Writer's Block doesn't have to be passive. I, too, make sure I'm filled up with God. I've found,though, that it's important that I go into my quiet time not for a take-away, but simply to be in God's presence. I try to focus on our relationship, instead of going to Him the refrigerator, hoping to carry something away.

    When I get that straight, I usually find that God is free to fill me up, and the overflow is what prompts me to "bleed on the page."

    Sometimes I just have to mentally stop striving and do a task (like laundry, or yard work, or cleaning bathrooms) that is monotonous and repetitive. Because I don't have to think about what I"m doing, my mind is free to wander off into some creative venue and I will often stumble upon a great story, analogy, or vignette just waiting to be told.

    Walking is the best mindless exercise that often spurs great thought for me. And I get the added benefit of a cardio workout!

    ReplyDelete